We’re well into February now, and if you’ve managed to keep up your new year resolution to exercise more, good for you! Outdoor running has become increasingly more popular in the past few years. Plus, many are off on winter skiing holidays right now. So we thought a post to remind you all of the importance of UV protection was essential. It’s easy to forget about the dangers of the sun when it’s cold and your wrapped up in layers but don’t let the cool temperatures trick you. SPF is essential all year round.
Here are our top reasons on the importance of UV protection:
- Regardless of rain or shine, up to 80% of harmful sun rays can still penetrate through clouds. So just because you can’t see the sun, doesn’t mean those dangerous UV rays aren’t there!
If you’re on a winter holiday, remember that snow reflects UV light, which is why you can still burn.
- If you’re skiing, you should note that UV radiation exposure increases 4 to 5 percent with every 1,000 feet above sea level. So the higher you are in the mountains the closer you are to the sun and to its harmful rays.
- A large sum of skin cancers, appear on the face, head and neck. This is likely because these areas of skin are constantly exposed to the sun. When you’re layered up with jumpers and coats, this doesn’t protect the exposed areas.
So what can you do to protect yourself?
- Daily use of SPF 15 or higher sunscreen reduces the risk of developing melanoma by 50 percent. So we cannot stress enough on the importance of daily UV protection. The Moisturizing Tint SPF 30+ can help you save time as it combines protection with coverage, so you can look radiant and be protected with this multitasking product.
- If you’re on a ski trip or in higher altitudes, go for a sunscreen like the Solar Shade SPF50. Plus, it’s designed to suit all skin types, including the most sensitive of skin.
If you pick one beauty product for winter, make sure it’s SPF.