Shea butter has incredible benefits for the skin which is why we incorporate it into so many of our makeup and skincare formulations. It’s most well-known use is for smoothing and hydrating dry skin. However, did you know it’s also a great anti-ageing ingredient as well as an anti-inflammatory? Discover all the benefits of shea butter and why we at glo love it so much, below.
Shea Butter Benefits
- Moisturising: Due to the rich concentration of antioxidants and skin-replenishing fatty acids shea butter contains, it’s incredibly nourishing and hydrating for the skin. This is why it is often used to relieve dry skin and to help protect the skin’s natural oils.
- Anti-Inflammatory: This amazing ingredient contains natural properties like Vitamin E to make it an anti-inflammatory. It has been known to heal scrapes, cuts and burns; relieve sunburn and rashes; soothe itching from insect bites, and ease the pain from muscle fatigue and arthritis.
- Treats Redness, Rosacea and Acne: Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, shea butter can help to relieve the symptoms of skin conditions like acne and rosacea. It can soothe inflamed and aggravated skin to reduce redness and decrease the prominence of the condition.
- Boosts Collagen: This ingredient also contains vitamin A, which is a well-known anti-ageing antioxidant that stimulates collagen production. As a result, shea butter can help keep your skin looking younger by helping to plumpen the skin with collagen. With long-term use, many people report that it has helped diminish wrinkles and strengthen the skin.
- Promotes Cell Turnover: Having vitamin A in its arsenal makes shea butter capable of aiding the skin in its cell renewal. Encouraging the exfoliation of dead skin cells to make way for new, healthy skin cells.
Now that we’ve convinced you of why shea butter is such a great ingredient, check out some of our favourite products that are formulated with this ingredient.