Your foundation brush is probably one of the most important tools you need in your makeup arsenal. The best foundation brushes provide an even and smooth application for coverage that looks natural and seamless. If you opt for a cheaper, poor-quality brush, it’s likely that you’ll find it doesn’t apply your makeup so well, leaving streaks and an uneven finish. Plus, it’ll probably shed, meaning that the bristles will come loose and get stuck on your face mid-application, which, I don’t know about you, but I find very irritating! This also means that you’re probably going to end up spending more on makeup brushes in the long run because you’ll have to replace those budget brushes more often. Taking proper care of high-quality brushes means that you could make your tools last for years! How’s that for saving money, eh?
Natural Hair vs. Synthetic Bristles
For powder products, natural hair brushes are the better choice because the product clings better to the brush. While synthetic brushes are better for liquid, wax and cream based products. Although, unlike natural hair brushes they can also work with powder. Find out more about the difference between these two types of brushes in our makeup brush guide.
Best Foundation Brushes for Specific Products
Knowing the difference between natural hair vs. synthetic hair brushes can be enough for you to decide on the best brush for you. But, sometimes the best foundation brushes are recommended for certain products, not just because of their bristles but also because of their shape and design. So we thought it might be helpful to specifically recommend which brushes work well with certain products or formulations:
- Dual Foundation/Camouflage Brush – For a brush that can give you both precise application and all over coverage, the Dual Foundation/Camouflage Brush is perfect. The large end is perfect for foundation and full face application. The denseness of the brush and it’s domed shape works to mimic the feel and pressure of using your fingers but with the smooth finish of a professional application. The small end is great for concealer and precisely disguising blemishes.
- Kabuki Brush – For a medium to full coverage of powder foundation the Kabuki brush is your best choice. The natural black capra hairs ensure it picks up a good amount of powder foundation for a natural looking finish. What’s more, the density of this brush makes it excellent for blending makeup too.
- Liquid Foundation Brush – This foundation brush is ideal for building coverage of liquid foundation. In particular when you want to build up coverage in problem skin areas, for optimum concealment.
- Luxe Foundation Brush – Designed with the Luxe Liquid Foundation SPF 18 in mind, this brush gives full coverage with a smooth, soft focus finish. The flat top kabuki head enables you completely control lightly buff and blend your liquid foundation into your skin in circular motions.
- Luxe Setting Powder Brush – This brush was created for loose powder products. The synthetic hairs formulated into a pointed tulip shape makes it easier to reach smaller areas, such as under your eyes or around your nose.
- Ultra Brush – This brush enables you to go from sheer to full coverage. It is specially designed for the Pressed Base but works well with all powders. It’s natural hairs are dense enough to allow room for choice in terms of coverage. So, you can go from sheer coverage, and build up to fuller coverage. Additionally, the Ultra Brush holds and transfer powder better than other brushes because of the stiffness of the hairs. But don’t worry it still feels as soft against your skin, as any other brush.